Font Research

 

The font I decided to go with for my credits was 'American Typewriter'. This font has often been used to represent the time before computers an digital art existed - when everyone used typewriters. I like it because it creates a kind of grungy and classic look, bringing the audience back to a different time, as well as making the film seem fancy and the writing style smoother. This font is also often used in a lot of crime or murder series or films, as it represents someone typing up the case on a typewriter after the event - I wanted to mimic this in my opening, as if the murder the characters have committed has been documented after the events on camera through the credits. 

I also used an animation in Final Cut Pro that had the typewriter text appear letter by letter, as if it was being typed up in the opening. I think this really creates the 'case study' effect in the film as it looks like someone is studying the murder and learning about it at the same time as the audience. Another common use of the typewriter font in media is that of remembering a friend or loved one. An example I used here as inspiration for this was the opening of every episode of 'A Series Of Unfortunate Events', which opens each time with a letter for a deceased character called Beatrice. 


This correlates to my film as the font would represent the character who has been murdered, as they have been lost to the audience and we as an audience sympathise with them as we are powerless to help them in the scene, with the two murderers being able to get away with their actions. This is why I decided to choose this font for my film opening, to bring the audience back to a different time in film and writing, to give the idea of a case being studied and to represent the loss of the deceased character to the two villains.
















Comments

Popular Posts