Analysis of a scene - The Dark Crystal (1982)

 The Dark Crystal - Skeksis eating scene

I chose this scene to analyse because I took inspiration for the cooking scene from the food here. The food used in this scene is made to look really disgusting and the focus I had on it was the sounds it made. The film uses diegetic sound to make the skeksis eating sound worse than the food actually is, and uses this to make them appear more violent than they look. Since this scene used puppets, it can control exactly how they move and look, making them look scarier to the viewer.

Since I will not be revealing the faces of the characters in my film, this scene helped me understand how to film the cooking scenes, using a lot of sound effects rather than just the footage to make the scene more uncomfortable. Another device used in this scene is the food being made to look really disgusting and unappealing to the audience, in order to make the characters look more villainous through what they consume. It gives the message that these characters don't care about presentation or looking good, therefore making them appear a lot more evil as they have no care for their appearance. I would use this in my own project by making the food look disgusting to not only mirror a character's own actions, but to make them look more evil as they don't care how they present to society, giving the idea of a social outcast.





Comments

Popular Posts